Friday, March 6, 2015

When Lives Collide

Last Friday, I saw the film Bagdad Cafe (1987) for the first time, sitting with my laptop in the nook under the stairs in my apartment (the roommates call it the "Harry Potter corner," for obvious reasons). It's a wonderfully dark and intimate space for immersing yourself in the world of a movie. With this particular film, I was immersed in the American southwest, far away from the trees and snow of home. I won't describe all the details of Bagdad Cafe, other than the fact that it's a great film and you should see it, but it reminded me of the incredible things that can happen in life through unexpected encounters with strangers.

It's amazing to think about the possibilities that come with meeting someone new. You could be sitting on a bus, going to school or work as usual, or having a cup of coffee in some cafe in the middle of nowhere, when the seat next to you happens to be the only one left. The person who fills that seat might only converse for a moment and leave, but they could also change your life forever. They could lift and drag you to emotional heights and depths you haven't seen in years. They could break the chains on things you've bound, or they could make you question what you've always thought to be true. They could remain a part of your life forever, or they could suddenly vanish and leave you feeling lonely, thankful, or both. You really never know what can happen, and the mystery of it is thrilling and beautiful. I've had such encounters before, and even when they ultimately bring more sadness than joy, I'm still amazed that I could meet someone who would have such a big impact on my life by just being in the right place at the right time. I guess when you have thousands of small universes (aka humans) constantly running, rolling, and drifting down the streets of your town, they're bound to collide and cause incredible reactions. This explains my tendency to try to be in too many places at once--there are nights when I can't stand the idea of sitting at home because there's so much life outside. I love watching and experiencing these human collisions. They're what great stories are made of.

Unfortunately, tonight doesn't seem to be the night for life-altering experiences. You know money's tight when it's Friday night and you're sitting alone in your living room with sleeping guinea pigs and Guy Fieri instead of tearing up the town. On the bright side, I recently had some more writing published. This time, it's a review of the wonderful Clockwork Cabaret podcast. Also, I obviously have guinea pigs now. Not only are they cute and cuddly, but the fact that rodents can have such nuanced personalities is unbelievable. Hopefully I'll have some more exciting adventures as the weekend progresses, but for now I'll settle for watching the tiny lights in the distance from my apartment deck, wondering who or what is out there waiting to change my life.    


      

No comments:

Post a Comment